Book Tickets Online
The burial chapel of the Audley family attached to the redundant St Michael's Church, Berechurch. - currently used as an architect's office.
The chapel was built in the early 16th century as the burial place of the Audley family, whose most prominent member was Thomas Audley, Lord Chancellor during the reign of Henry VIII. The chapel contains the tomb of Sir Henry Audley, erected in 1648 before he died. It includes a white marble effigy of Sir Henry in armour, reclining on a black and white tomb chest containing the carved figures of his five children. There is also a tablet to Robert Audley who died in 1624 and further memorials dating to the 19th century. The fine hammer beam roof is decorated with carvings that include the emblems of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon, suggesting that the chapel was completed before the royal divorce in 1533, as well as heraldic badges containing the arms of Audley of Walden. St Michael's itself was entirely rebuilt in 1872. The Audley Chapel is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Map & Directions