Book Tickets Online
The first St Botolph's Church was built where the ruins of St Botolph's Priory Church now stand. It was a Saxon Church with a tower construction similar to that of nearby Holy Trinity, and stood just outside the town's Roman wall.
At the time of the dissolution of the monasteries the Priory suffered badly and in 1536 was largely demolished. Only the Church was left, which continued for another century to serve the parish. In March 1835 concern was expressed about ‘the Parish Church being in ruins’. By December the same year the foundations of a new church had been begun and the new building, with its accommodation for 1080 people, was dedicated in 1837.
The Church was nearly destroyed by fire during the 1943 air raids. It had its own team of fire watchers which dealt with several incendiary bombs, although one fell on a radiator and the resulting fire was extinguished by the escaping water!
Recent excavations have revealed the remains of a Roman house close to the site.
Map & Directions
By Road:Located off Queens StreetThe nearest railway station is Colchester Town, which is 0 miles away.