Set in an idyllic setting beside the river Stour, our luxury riverside cottage (named Idle Waters) is a timber framed 16th century cottage on the north Essex/ Suffolk border.
Located in the heart of the Dedham Vale AONB – loved by generations of artists and known affectionately as ‘Constable Country’. The cottage features in John Constable painting entitled ‘The Vale of Dedham’, the original is currently on display in the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh.
Idle Waters is a self-catering cottage for a maximum of four people and available for any number of nights.
The accommodation, which has just been completely refurbished by Geraldine Milsom, comprises an open plan fully fitted kitchen and dining area with doors leading out onto the garden, sitting room with bay window overlooking the river Stour, inglenook fireplace and huge leather sofas. Upstairs, the cottage has two delightful bedrooms with views over the river; both rooms have en-suite bathrooms, one with a bath/shower over and the other with a large walk in shower.
The cottage is dog friendly with lots of fabulous walks just seconds from the front door, so bring your four-legged friends too!
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|House||from £250.00 to £400.00 per unit per night|
|Unit||from £1,750.00 to £2,800.00 per unit per week|
*From September 2020 Idle Waters is available for any number of nights from one. It is best to contact us for the rate - for example a 2 night break is £400
Booking & Payment Details
- American Express accepted
- Christmas special programme
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Breakfast available - We provide a welcome pack with breakfast for your first morning; you are also welcome to buy breakfast at Milsoms just a two minute walk from the cottage
- Evening meals - Dinner at Le Talbooth or Milsoms, both walking distance.
- Foodshop/mobile foodshop - Hall Farm Shop provides everything you might need for a self catering break
- Restaurant - Le Talbooth is on the opposite bank of the River Stour, a bit like having a three rosette restaurant in your garden! Milsoms, a brasserie restaurant is a two minute walk away
- Children welcome - This property has not specified a minimum age for children. Please check with them to find out whether they will accept your children.
- Cots available
- High chairs available
- Microwave cooker
- Advance booking essential
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash
- Contactless check-in
- Contactless check-out
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Facilities must be booked
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Open now
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
- Socially distanced spaced seating
- Staff required to regularly wash hands
- Central heating
- Real log/coal fires
- Drying facilities
- Ironing facilities
- Laundry facilities
- Washing machine
- Cycles for hire
- Free WIFI
- Golf available (onsite or nearby)
- Health/beauty facilities onsite
- Spa Facilities
Linen & Bedding
- Linen provided
- Private parking - Parking available outside the cottage.
- Cleaning service
- Dogs Accepted
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Non-smoking property
- WiFi or internet access
- Wood Burner
- CD player
- DVD player
- King-sized bed
- Satellite TV
- Scenic view
- Building of historical interest
- Single sex groups welcomed
Map & Directions
If travelling from London, turn off M25 at Brentwood onto A12. Continue on A12 towards Ipswich, bypassing Colchester. Take the left exit signposted “Stratford St Mary, Dedham and Higham.” At the bottom of the hill, continue round sharp left bend, Le Talbooth is immediately on the left.