Discover Colchester's Past
One of the best ways to find out about the dramatic events that have taken place in Colchester is to take a guided walking tour led by a qualified Town Guide.
As the tour takes you through Castle Park, the Dutch Quarter and the High Street, only minutes away from each other, each has a very different story to tell.
Discover Colchester's Past & Present
Camulodunum to Colchester
On the 90 minute tour you will discover:
- Why the Roman Temple of Claudius was sensationally destroyed by Boudica
- Why the Dutch Quarter is so named
- Why a building was named after a famous elephant
- When Colchester was under siege for 11 weeks
- The location of the largest surviving Roman Gateway in Britain
- Who planted the tree on top of the Castle
- The origins of the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star nursery rhyme
How to book
Adults: £4.20, Children: £3.10