Colchester Town Hall
The Town Hall site has been the focus of civic duties for more than 800 years. Colchester's first Town Hall, called the Moot Hall was built in 1160. The second Town Hall was built in 1844 and was a three-storey structure with a stone faced front.
John Belcher designed the present Town Hall, which was chosen after a competition in 1897. Building work began in 1898 and the building was opened by the Earl of Rosebery in May 1902.
With outstanding function rooms that are still used for their original purpose and are also available to hire for functions and weddings.
Building Features: The building design is Baroque. The 162ft Victorian tower was presented by industrialist James Paxman with a statue at the top of St Helena, Colchester's patron saint.
The Moot Hall function room houses a custom built organ by Norman and Beard (pictured)
The Old Library function room, originally Colchester's first town centre public library was designed by Brightwen Binyon of Ipswich in 1894.
The Council Chambers has a glorious painted ceiling showing a classical description of the twelve months of the year and the two stained glass windows depicting the Roman history of the Borough. This unique room is a memorable venue for weddings and commitment ceremonies.
Building work began in 1898 and the building was opened by Prime Minister Lord Rosebery in May 1902.
The 162ft Victorian tower was presented by industrialist James Paxman.
The design is Baroque.
The statue at the top of the tower is not that of St Helena, it is the Virgin Mary.
VenueColchester Town Hall
High Street, Colchester, Essex, CO1 1PJ
Map reference: TL 999252 Lat: 51.88949 Long: 0.90352
From Colchester Town Station turn right, continue up st Botolphs and Queen Street, at the top of Queen Street turn left onto the High Street. Continue along the High Street and you will see the Town Hall on the right.
Accessible by Public Transport : Colchester Town station
Also at this venue
Events at this venue
|Sat 14, Sun 15 Sep 2013||Heritage Open Days - Colchester Town Hall|