A Thriving Hub
At the heart of Colchester lies the town centre, a place which has been at the heart of the town’s activities for thousands of years, and today is still a busy thriving hub with lots to see and do.
Come and discover the historic sites, daily events, great restaurants, fantastic shopping, all with very easy access by public transport or car.
Scroll through some of our most popular attractions to the right or have a look at some of the things to do outside of the Town Centre
You can be sure that a day spent walking around the town will be packed full of activities and fun.
A Vibrant Town
What to do on a day in Colchester’s busy town centre, surrounded by shopping centres, high street brands and independent boutiques? A bit of retail therapy is a great way to unwind in the pedestrianised town centre, with easy access to a wide diversity of big and little shops.
- Two shopping centres, Lion Walk & Culver Square, centrally located with all types of shops
- Quaint Trinity street with independent shops and cafes
- High Street lined with big brands and great shopping deals, including Fenwicks - the largest department store in the region.
- Friday and Saturday is market day! Explore the stalls for curiosities and fresh fruit & veg
- Regular Farmers’ markets where you can sample local produce.
Things to do
Colchester town centre is a hub of activity, and there are always great events, activities and shows to attend.
- Find out What’s On while you’re here, for all the best events in the town centre
- Join a Guided Tour of Colchester town centre to discover the town’s historic sites
- See a play, concert or show in one of the many venues, like the Mercury Theatre or Colchester Arts Centre
- Keep the children busy with great for kids activities, happening in Colchester Museums or Castle Park
- Explore the arts scene, in art galleries like Firstsite or The Minories
Colchester town centre is the ideal place to begin your exploration of Colchester’s long and rich history.
- Visit the Visitor Information Centre in Hollytrees Museum to pick up useful maps and leaflets, as well as helpful insights into the best places to visit
- Discover the Romans, on a visit to Colchester Castle Museum, and the many Roman historic sites around town like the Roman Circus Centre.
- See historic buildings still standing in the middle of the town centre, like the Roman Wall and St Botolph’s Priory
- Join a guided tour to hear qualified guides tell you of the town’s eventful past.
Where to Eat
You won’t have to walk far to find the best places to eat in Colchester. For a quick bite to eat in between sightseeing, or an evening of fine dining, find the following all within walking distance of the town centre’s best features:
- Great Restaurants and local cuisine
- Afternoon Tea in quaint tea rooms
- Pubs in traditional buildings
- Fast food & takeaway, as well as food stalls & markets for food on the go
It’s easy to get to Colchester town centre by bus, train or car.
- By Bus: Buses in Colchester are run by various bus companies, including First Travel, Hedingham and Arriva. The bus station is now located on Osbourne street
- By Train: A regional train line runs to Colchester Town Centre station. Trains from London run regularly to Colchester Station (North Station). Find out more about trains to Colchester.
- By Car: Car parks are located in the town centre as well as on the outskirts. Alternatively, use the Park & Ride just off the A12.
- Walking: Various walking routes around Colchester. If you’re arriving at Colchester Station, follow the yellow elephants for the Fixing the Link trail to the town centre.
- Cycle: See information on cycling to Colchester