Refine your search
A place to feel good!
A walk or cycle in the park with some friends is a great way to relax, exercise and enjoy the company of others. Waymarked paths lead you through bluebell woods with glimpses of the lake and wildflower meadows with great views of Colchester.
Relax and Play
There are many ways to enjoy your time at High Woods. Relax in one of the many peaceful glades while the kids let off steam in the adventure play areas. Enjoy a hot drink at the visitor centre. Anglers can enjoy a day’s fishing (permits apply). If you want something more organised join our Health Walks on Fridays and Sundays, an ideal way to improve fitness in a sociable atmosphere. If you like vegetable gardening come along to the BIG Garden on alternate Saturdays.
We welcome responsible dog owners. All we ask is that you aid the enjoyment of other visitors by keeping your dog under close control at all times and on a lead in some areas, you ‘scoop the poop’ and use the dog bins at the entrances.
Good for you – good for wildlife
The park is run by its team of country park specialists who follow a site plan to conserve and enhance this beautiful place. Volunteers give tremendous help. All are committed to caring for High Woods and the animals and plants that share it. Management is carried out in a traditional way for wildlife and for future generations to enjoy. If you are looking for a social activity, work experience, to get fit, or simply have a passion for the park why not volunteer? Don’t worry if you are not an expert – training is provided.
For more information on the park and its facilities go to www.colchester.gov.uk/countrypark
Monday - Friday 10am - 4.30pm.
Weekends 10.30am - 5pm
1 October - 31 March - weekends only.
10am - 4pm
Car park open 7am-10pm Summer, 7am-7pm winter.
TL 997271 51.90660 0.90476
Come out of the train station and take the second exit on the roundabout, Bruff Close. Follow this road to the end where it meets Northern Approach Road (A134) Cross over the A134 and turn right into Turner Road. Continue along Turner Road and High Woods Country Park is the fifth turning on your right.
: 1 mile from Colchester North station
- Baby changing facilities
- Disabled toilets
- Education/study area
- Facilities for educational visits
- Gift shop
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Public toilets
- Wheelchairs available
- Accepts groups
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
- Dogs accepted
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is solid
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- To the gift shop
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Baby changing facilities
- Entrance is well lit
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Clear signage
- Routes/pathways suitable for wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility
- Displays at suitable height for wheelchair users / children
- Audible alarm system