Boxted Airfield Museum
The museum was officially opened on the 29th May 2011 by Henry Farwell American veteran of the 386th Bomb Group based at Boxted in 1943.
The opening was the result of 10 years fundraising and 4 years construction. The Boxted Airfield Historical Group was formed in 2000. The ground held fly-ins on the airfield between 2002 and 2006 the small profit from these was used to start the fundraising. In 2008 we became a registered charity and applied to the Heritage lottery fund for a grant. We were delighted when they allocated £34,000 for our project. This has funded the exhibition Nissen hut (an original from the airfield that has been restored). A second brand new Nissen hut was funded by our group from a building block fundraising initiative; we use this building as a visitor centre. The museum displays include the nose gearing mechanism from a P47 Thunderbolt, the largest piece of a B26 Marauder in the UK, the WW2 diary of the 386th bomb group, as well as artefacts from the airfield and general WW2 items, as well as the 386th the airfield was home to the 354th fighter group (the first until to fly the merlin engined mustang) and the 56th most famous of the American fighter groups with more kills and more aces than any other group. The only Congressional medal of honour awarded to a fighter pilot flying in Europe was gived to Jim Howard stationed in Boxted. The first American Air Sea rescue squadron was formed at Boxted in 1944. When the war ended the RAF used the base until 1947.
Admission £2 accompanied children free. No concessions
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||Open on last Sunday of each month, April to September.|
VenueBoxted Airfield Museum
Langham Lane, Langham, Nr Colchester, Essex, CO4 5NW
Map reference: TM 014311 Lat: 51.94193 Long: 0.92873
Parking : free
Nearest station : 5 miles (8.0 kms) from North Station station